Public Relations Committee Mission Statement:
“To foster public awareness of AWIS San Diego and ensure a consistent image in promoting equality of women in STEM fields”
Effective public relations are vital to the success of our organization.
We strive to ensure that potential members and sponsors in the community know our chapter, and our mission to achieve equity and full participation of women in science, mathematics, engineering, and technology (STEM).
Publicity efforts are especially important to communicate our chapter events to members, to attract new members, and ensure our presence is recognized in the STEM community. We routinely promote Happy hours, Strategy Sessions, and also promote and attend larger AWIS SD events such as the annual Open House, Scholarship Gala, The Women in Science and Technology (WIST) Conference. In addition we partner with like-minded organizations and participate at local conferences in support of STEM fields.
Public Relations promotes AWIS SD resources for career development and our voice for women in STEM to the wider community.
- Ensure a consistent AWIS-SD brand and image, and PR strategy
- Manage social media accounts and bi-monthly event list mailings to Keep members up to date with chapter events, community events, and job opportunities
- Creative design of flyers and promotional gifts
- Event photography
- Attend chapter, and non-AWIS SD events to provide AWIS-SD promotional material, set up and staff booths or tables, and network with participants.
- Build and maintain relationships with local media and other like minded organizations to increase public awareness of AWIS SD in the community
- Recruit and welcome new members at various professional levels, retain current members
Public Relations Committee member benefits:
- Communication, Marketing, and Management: Develop your professional communication skills through email, newsletters, and social media channels.
- Creative Design: create social media campaigns, design promotional materials, and showcase your photography skills for our events.
- Networking: Develop relationships with other AWIS SD committees, media contacts, sponsors, and partners. Represent AWIS SD at local conferences and science fairs.
Help us to build awareness of AWIS-SD events and news on a flexible schedule—we have short and long term projects that fit your schedule, and always welcome new ideas!
Co-Chair Sophie Muscat-King
Members Gloria Kuo Lefkowitz
Elena Rubio de la Torre
AWIS-SD WIST Conference
AWIS-SD Scholarship Celebration
AWIS-SD Open House
Business Women’s Mega Mixer
March for Science 2017
SD Lawyers Club Equal Pay Day
Science Fair at Del Mar
Qualcomm QWISE Day
Yashi (PR member) and Vicki (Outreach member) at the AWIS-SD booth at the STE[+a]m ASCEND Conference.
AWIS-SD volunteers celebrating International Women’s Day with QWISE at Qualcomm.
If you are interested in becoming involved in increasing awareness of our chapter, while improving your communication skills and learning to interact with the media, please contact the PR Chair.